Friday, July 3, 2009

Top 11 Fourth of July Menus: Bon Apetit

As you know by now, holidays are big in my family. We are a family that needs little reason to party, but holidays give us the opportunity to take out all the stops!

Remembering my Fourth of July moments make me realize that tomorrow is another opportunity to help influence the special memories of my girls and neighbors. It is a holiday that is all about the basics - no pretense and all fun.

My fourth of July memories take me to either the beach or the legendary Port Locksleigh block party. Nothing was more exciting than seeing all the BBQ's, tables and chairs on the driveway, the cones at the end of the street and Jimmy the Beach (aka Jim Roberts) on the mic. The neighborhood parents would organize a bike parade, water balloon toss, egg spoon race and then it was time for the anticipated Port Locksleigh vs Port Taggert softball game on the greenbelt...where we would KICK SOME REAL BUTT. I always felt so lucky that I got to be part of the BEST STREET.

The menus for this holiday reflect the event - classic. If you are searching for inspiration on what to cook for your party or the pot luck you are hitting up, check out the top 11 Fourth of July menus...care of Bon Apetit. http://www.bonappetit.com/dishes/menus/fourth_of_july_menu_guide/index/index_20090529

While you know I have a lot of care about the food, it's the memories, people and times you are creating that deserve the most effort and attention. To me, Fourth of July is still a day of tossing water balloons, playing games, catching up with neighborhood friends, watching dads become little boys again, kids in awe of sparklers and for everyone to enjoy the purest pleasures of being an American.

Thank you to all who continue sacrificing, allowing families around the country these amazing freedoms and privileges.

Happy Fourth!

No comments: