Sunday, October 18, 2009

Scallops Wrapped in Prosciutto

A few weeks ago we were invited to an Octoberfest party. As usual, I was late, rushing around and hadn't had time to really think... let alone plan what I was going to bring to this annual neighborhood event. So to the refrigerator I went...searching, thinking, searching...and inspiration came to me. I found sea scallops in the freezer and prosciutto in the refrigerator...and the rest is history. This is a quick, easy, tasty and fun new recipe for your next happy hour.

From my table to yours!


Scallops Wrapped in Prosciutto
Ingredients:
  • 6 Sea Scallops (halved or quartered depending on how large they are)
  • 1 package Prosciutto
  • 1-2 T Olive Oil
  • 1 T Capers
  • 1/4 C Blackberry brandy
  • 2 T Fat free half and half
  • Toothpicks
  • Fresh herbs for garnish (I used sage and flat leaf parsley to add color to the plate - sliced cantaloupe would be perfect too)

Directions:
  • Rinse scallops
  • Quarter or half depending on their size (make them bite-sized)
  • Slice prosciutto into 1/4 inch strips (Should be a little more narrow than each piece of scallop)
  • Wrap each piece of scallop in prosciutto
  • Heat olive oil in large pan over medium heat
  • Brown wrapped scallops (I like to make the prosciutto crispy) - about 4-5 min/side (until cooked through)
  • Remove to serving bowl (I used a wide, shallow bowl) and top with a sprinkle of capers
  • In the same pan, add Blackberry brandy. Use wooden spoon to get all the yummy prosciutto bits in there!
  • Cook for 2 min, add half and half
  • Pour sauce over scallops
  • Garnish and serve with toothpicks

Interesting sweet and salty combination...my favorite. Enjoy.

No comments: