Saturday, October 2, 2010

Rioja Steamed Mussels with Chorizo

A few months ago an old friend, turned sommelier and mixologist, sent me a bottle of Rioja. He told me to serve it a tad chilled on a warm day. You don't have to tell me that more than once - Done!

I don't consider myself a vino connoisseur (seem to be a bit of a creature of habit) but the flavor of summer fruits with a touch of toasted spiciness just begged to be accompanied by an evening of tapas. With tapas and Rioja, you've set the stage for a casual, light-hearted, full-flavored evening. Here is a simple, tasty tapa to add to your spread.

From my table to yours...

Rioja Steamed Mussels with Chorizo

Ingredients:
  • 1 # Chorizo, casings removed, crumbled
  • 1 large Spanish onion
  • 2 # black mussels, cleaned
  • Kosher salt and freshly cracked pepper
  • 1 bottle Rioja or dry red wine (Don't worry, I didn't use the bottle he sent me)
  • 1/2 C flat leaf parsley, chopped

Directions:

  • Put the chorizo in a large, heavy pot with lid. Cook over medium/high heat until meat is browned and the fat starts to escape.
  • Remove chorizo with a slotted spoon and reserve.
  • Add chopped onion, pinch of salt and pepper and cook for 5-8 min, or until softened.
  • Add mussels
  • Pour entire bottle of rioja into the pot, bring to a boil and cover. Cook for 5 min or until mussels open.
  • Remove the lid and ditch any mussels that didn't open. Stir the mussels so they are coated in the wine, sausage and onions.
  • Transfer to a serving platter, sprinkle with chopped parsley and serve immediately.

No comments: