Monday, November 19, 2012

Thanksgiving Side Dishes – Old, New and Borrowed

Thanksgiving Side Dishes – Old, New and Borrowed


I am a total traditionalist and typically make my holiday menu strictly from legacy family favorites. I do this not only because my family has some amazing recipes, but also because while I cook each dish it conjures special memories of that person…or the holiday we shared together.

I feel the same about setting the table, arranging the flowers and cleaning the silver. I think of the linen from my great grandmother. Sure it has some spots and is thinning in certain areas, but like family – not perfect, but means so much. I like to see her monogram in the corner, it makes me feels she’s with us and lets her know she’s remembered and loved. I also love to share all the stories with my girls and to see their excitement when they get to help polish the crystal, place the china and create the name cards. They now are old enough and have heard the stories enough, to know what came from who and where to place the centerpiece so it covers the yellow spot.

Last year my daughter Hannah asked me what my favorite holiday was –I easily answered Thanksgiving. I use an example that an amazing co-worker shared with me years ago. She highlighted that Thanksgiving is the one holiday where nobody is required to wear a costume or buy, wrap and ship gifts. It’s the holiday where all that’s needed is family, friends and feast. To me, that makes it a darned near perfect holiday. Yes it can add expense and work, but Thanksgiving doesn’t have to be full of stress and debt – actually a lot of the food is truly basic, easy to make the day before and is pretty inexpensive. I loved sharing that with Hannah and while no doubt she LOVES dressing in costumes and getting gifts, I could tell she got it and maybe even agreed.

When I think of my Thanksgiving menu, it typically includes… Grandma Groat’s bread stuffing, Aunt Connie’s pecan yams, I cook the turkey in Granny’s electric oven (as to leave my oven open for side-dishes), my mom’s luscious cheesecake, Pam’s feta green beans and wild rice, sausage stuffing, and cranberries, Aunt Meredi’s mashers…and of course I am the first to note DON’T ASK ME TO DRIVE THE GRAVY (Thank goodness for Trader Joes, William Sonoma and WHOLE FOODS). But like many things in my life, I am finally learning to appreciate that traditions are intended to flex and evolve. That all of these special traditions are passed on from generation to generation and are not tarnished by adding new twists, meals and partaking in someone else’s traditions can make Thanksgiving even that much more special.

I am looking forward to heading up to Steamboat Springs tomorrow, bringing a few of my family favorites and enjoying some new ones as well. Here are a few dishes you may look to add to your spread this week.

Happy Cooking from a legacy of kitchens to yours….

Thanksgiving Side Dishes:

• Green Bean, Feta and Dill Salad: http://thevaccarofamilytable.blogspot.com/2008/11/greek-green-bean-and-feta-salad.html

• Sweet Potato Gratin: http://thevaccarofamilytable.blogspot.com/2012/11/sweet-potato-gratin.html

• Bourbon, Orange and Shallot Cranberries: http://thevaccarofamilytable.blogspot.com/2012/11/bourbon-orange-and-shallot-cranberries.html

• Wild Rice and Sausage Stuffing http://thevaccarofamilytable.blogspot.com/2012/11/wild-rice-and-sausage-dressing.html

• Artichoke Parmesan Stuffing and Spaghetti Squash with Jalapeno Cream: http://thevaccarofamilytable.blogspot.com/2009/12/artichoke-parmasean-stuffing-spaghetti.html

No comments: